World Journal of Environmental Biosciences
World Journal of Environmental Biosciences
2022 Volume 11 Issue 3

Lower Back Pain in Athletes and Non-Athletes; A Group Comparison of Risk Factors and Pain Management


Raghad Abdulrahman AlYousef, Amani Abdulrahman Abualnaja, Jood Humod AlNojaidi, Yara Nasser AlDosari, Shuruq Abdulmohsen AlKhalaf, Nadeef Jafar AlQahtani, Dalal abdullah AlDosari, Abdulrazaq Abdulmohsen AlKhalaf, Muhammed Saleh Alharbi
Abstract

Back pain is a common complaint among people. This study aimed to evaluate lower back pain (LBP) in athletes and non-athletes, identify the associated risk factors, and suggest management strategies. A cross-sectional study was conducted in Saudi Arabia from September 3 to October 15, 2020. The sample size was 1,446 individuals, random sampling was performed. It included individuals between 18 and 50 years. Participants with a congenital anomaly or a history of trauma or previous surgery were excluded. Data were collected using an online self-administered questionnaire which included the lower back pain portion of the Standardised Nordic Questionnaire. The Statistical Package for the Social Sciences was used to analyse the data.  There were a total of 1446 participants were included, 64.5% of them had back trouble at least once in their lifetime. The remaining 35.5% did not experience this issue. Age, job, and BMI were identified to be significantly associated with lower back pain (p < 0.001). Lower back pain is common among older age groups. Age, obesity, and lifting heavy objects are the most common risk factors associated with lower back pain. Exercising regularly can decrease the incidence of lower back pain.


How to cite this article
Vancouver
AlYousef RA, Abualnaja AA, AlNojaidi JH, AlDosari YN, AlKhalaf SA, AlQahtani NJ, et al. Lower Back Pain in Athletes and Non-Athletes; A Group Comparison of Risk Factors and Pain Management. World J Environ Biosci. 2022;11(3):36-44. https://doi.org/10.51847/kVriSL1OCS
APA
AlYousef, R. A., Abualnaja, A. A., AlNojaidi, J. H., AlDosari, Y. N., AlKhalaf, S. A., AlQahtani, N. J., AlDosari, D. A., AlKhalaf, A. A., & Alharbi, M. S. (2022). Lower Back Pain in Athletes and Non-Athletes; A Group Comparison of Risk Factors and Pain Management. World Journal of Environmental Biosciences, 11(3), 36-44. https://doi.org/10.51847/kVriSL1OCS
Copyright © 2023 - World Journal of Environmental Biosciences - All Rights Reserved Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.